Take a tour
With more than sexy 120 girls walking around, you would almost forget to notice that Campo Alegre is a great looking resort.
Want to see more? Click here!
One of the Caribbean’s top attractions since 1949
Campo Alegre is an essential part of Curaçao society and known all over the world. It has received international media attention, it has been featured in literary works and it has even been the subject of scientific studies. What makes ‘Campo’ so unique? Is it its rich and unusual history? (Campo Alegre was founded by the local government in 1949.) Or is it the fact that Campo Alegre offers 24/7 access to more than 120 beautiful girls in a safe, relaxed and legal environment?
How it all started: as a
Prostitution has been a fact of life on Curaçao since the days of pirates and privateers. But in the 1930s and 40s, it started to get out of hand. With all the foreign refinery workers, sailors and foreign soldiers on the island, there were a lot of needy men running around. At the time, the popular Venezuelan, Colombian and Dominican prostitutes were mainly working in the town center, in Punda and Otrobanda. Due to the large demand for their services, this caused all kinds of problems. ‘Decent people’, including schoolchildren had to witness how the girls were picking up clients. Women who weren’t prostitutes were being harassed by drunken men. The city streets were unsafe. Something had to be done.
Let’s go outside
The first thing the government tried was outlawing prostitution from the city center. This didn’t work either. Areas like Sint Michielsbaai and especially Marie Pampoen became huge outdoor sex centers. It became impossible to get a taxi, because all the cars were transporting prostitutes and their clients to these areas. Venereal disease were running rampant, People were getting robbed in the wilderness, and the terrain was littered with condoms. It was mayhem. The government didn’t know what to do. Denying foreign prostitutes entry to the island would be a bad idea, because that would only stimulate local girls to get into the business. The authorities were forced to come up with a real-life solution.
The birth of Campo Alegre
The governor appointed a commission that included representatives of the police, the public health department and even the clergy. After much deliberation, it was decided that it would be best to concentrate prostitution in a special apartment building where every woman rents an apartment upon arrival; the owner not interfering with whatever she wants to do in the apartment. This would not make it a brothel in the strictest sense. The advantages to all parties were clear: by concentrating all the activity in one location, the general public would no longer be exposed to offensive behavior, a doctor could check the girls for venereal diseases, the police could keep an eye on everyone’s safety, and pimps were no longer needed (or even allowed). On December 4th 1948, the authorities granted a license to build 25 pavilions and a restaurant building on a terrain on the ‘Seru Fortuna’ (Fortuna Hill) along the road to the airport. On May 30th 1949, the complex named Campo Alegre opened its doors, and indeed solved most of the island’s prostitution problems.
Campo Alegre today
Campo still proudly lives up to its original purpose: providing a safe, clean and enjoyable setting for erotic entertainment. A place where gentlemen (and ladies, on Tuesday nights) can give their natural desires free rein. A place where girls from many different countries can work in a fair and safe way, without pimps and harassment. A place where people from all over the world come to have a wonderful time. A place that has earned its status as one of the Caribbean’s top attractions. Enjoy!